Our In-School Training Program
About Our Program
Since 2013, the Seacoast Learning Center has provided in-school Orton-Gillingham training and certification to area schools. Our in-school program certifies Dyslexia Practitioners who implement the Orton-Gillingham based multisensory, structured Language Education to their school aged children with dyslexia. This partnership has resulted in overall literacy improvements in classes with trained staff members and significant improvements in literacy measures for students who receive in-school targeted Orton-Gillingham instruction.
The Seacoast Learning Center has partnered for the past 5 years with several local school districts in training their teachers in the Orton-Gillingham method as they work with their students in their schools.
Our trainees must have a bachelor’s degree and often includes special educators, teachers, reading specialists speech and language pathologists, school administration, and Title I Teachers.
Our Orton-Gillingham based training is 70 hours of classroom instruction and 100 hours of supervised practicum. The practicum is with the trainee’s students at their school. There are 8 training sessions that span the 10-month academic school year. Teachers may receive 6 Graduate Credits and become Certified Dyslexia Practitioners Level I. Our program is accredited by the International Multi-sensory Language Education Council (IMSLEC).
Each trainee is assigned a trainer level dyslexia practitioner as their mentor for the year. Every lesson plan created for the school’s students being tutored is reviewed by our experienced staff with feedback provided to the trainee. In addition, our mentors observe the trainee and student in their school setting a minimum of 10 times over the 10-month training period.
As a result of Orton-Gillingham training/certification, schools report:
- Overal improvements in key literacy measures in classes with Orton-Gillingham trained/certified staff.
- Teacher training is an inexpensive means of statistically improving reading outcomes, especially for children who receive targeted instruction.
- Improved parent satisfaction as students receive needed intervention by skilled practitioners within the school day and setting.
- Overal improvement in key reading measures.
- Students get multisensory Orton-Gillingham instruction in their school setting.
- Trainees are mentored for 10 months by highly skilled practitioners.
- Support in selecting student participants
- Standardized testing to establish baselines of performance.
- Growth in student progress measured after 45 lessons with standardized testing.
- 10 on-site observations of trainee and their student with feedback by their mentor stet.
- 100 lesson plans reviewed with the trainee by our highly skilled practitioners.
- Staff member trainees are certified as Dyslexia Practitioner – Level 1
- Improvement in student reading.
- Improvement is student self-esteem
What Students, Parents & Trainees Are Saying
School is easy because I can spell words better. Now I like to read. I used to not read so much because I didn’t like reading.
Thank you for inventing the Center. My reading and writing has improved a lot this year. School used to be hard for me and now it’s not.
…for the first time we have seen significant progress in our son’s reading ability.
Thank you for this tremendous opportunity to make a difference in the lives of people with dyslexia. I have gained valuable tools, and expanded perspectives and knowledge. This makes me a better educator and advocate for people with dyslexia. … My confidences as a scholar educator, coach, and advocate have increased.
Orton Gillingham Training Program Accreditations
The Orton Gillingham training program is also recognized by the International Dyslexia Association (IDA) as meeting all of their Knowledge and Practice Standards.
The Children’s Dyslexia Centers, Inc. Orton Gillingham training program is accredited by the International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council (IMSLEC).
These accreditations reflect the quality of training provided by the Children’s Dyslexia Centers, Inc. and demonstrates our program meets the highest standards in the field.
Sign Up To Be a Tutor Today!
Please contact the Center Director to learn more about the Children’s Dyslexia Centers, Inc. Orton Gillingham certification process and program or sign up now to enrol and become a certified Orton Gillingham tutor/teacher. To get started on this amazing career opportunity download our Scholar Application packet and apply today.